Mark Your Calendar: Summer Concerts and Shows

For many teenagers, nothing says summer like enjoying a day or evening spent listening to their favorite band or music artist. The DC area offers a large variety of concerts and shows, including those played by the most famous acts in the country and world. The summer of 2010 will bring many great performances to venues across the area.

“(I) started my summer with Bamboozle Roadshow (so legit),” said Kelsey Renner (’11), an unabashed music lover. “I definitely want to go see Something Coporate at the 9:30 Club, and then Tegan and Sara at Merriweather , and they’re with Paramore, so that’s a double whammy.”

At the 9:30 Club, located on V Street in DC, many shows by top performers are already sold out, include Drake with Francis and the Lights (June 13 at 9pm), Adam Lambert (June 28 at 7pm), and She and Him (July 7 at 7pm).

One of the most famous musical shows, Vans Warped Tour, rolls into Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia on July 20. We the Kings, Never Shout Never, The Cab, The Rocket Summer, The Summer Set, Mayday Parade, Sum 41, Alkaline Trio and many more will be playing. Tickets are $32.75 – $40 and the day begins at 11am.

Keane will play at Merriweather on August 5 at 5:30pm ($29 – $39). MGMT will do the same on August 14 at 6pm ($25 – $35).

The annual Honda Civic Tour makes its stop in the area at Merriweather on July 31 at 5pm, headlined by Paramore with Tegan and Sara, New Found Glory, and Kadawatha. Tickets are $21 or $36.

Wolf Trap, the National Park for the Performing Arts, will play host to Sheryl Crow and Colbie Caillat on June 17 at 8pm ($35 – $50). RAIN – A Tribute to the Beatles will be on June 25 and 26 at 8pm ($25 – $40) and the Beach Boys will perform on July 25 at 2pm ($25 – $38).

“That’s incredible! I’m definitely psyched for that,” said Elizabeth Burgess (’13) in reference to the Beatles tribute at Wolf Trap.

This summer promises to be jam packed with great entertainment, no matter what your tastes are.