No Rave Reviews for “Rings”

Arianna Howard, Editor-in-Chief

“First you watch it, then you…” get disappointed. After being out for over a month, “Rings” has a Metascore of 25, and only 4.5 out of 10 stars on IMDb, and its popularity isn’t doing too well either, down 53%.

Starring Matilda Anna Ingrid Lutz, Alex Roe, and Johnny Galecki, the drama/horror struggled to compare with its original film, “The Ring,” which has 7 out of 10 stars. While the release date was pushed back to avoid competition with “Ouija: Origin of Evil,” “Rings” still couldn’t hold its own on the box office and fell flat compared to movies like “The Space Between Us” and “John Wick 2.”

The film runs for a little under two hours, which may contribute to the fact that most viewers found themselves lost and unsure of what was happening throughout the movie. Some said that it seemed like more of a mystery than a horror movie, but the plot was too confusing to follow. It also had a distinct lack of jump-scares or any other horror elements.

“Rings” had a budget of $25,000,000 and, in a month, only grossed around $28,000,000, hardly breaking even. Critics commented that the film provided nothing new to the Ring franchise, wasn’t the movie to see if you wanted to be scared, and ultimately, that “Rings” would only leave you disappointed.

One student who took a chance on “Rings” is Michael Bailey (‘17). “It wasn’t impressive at all, especially when you compare it to the original movies,” Bailey stated. “It was a huge let down and a waste of money. I just spent the whole time trying to figure out what was going on.” When asked if he would recommend the movie to others, Bailey was quick to respond. “Definitely not. The only way I would suggest “Rings” to someone would be if they asked for a movie to laugh at. It was just plain disappointing.” Bailey went on to explain some of the best and worst parts of the film. “It was a good concept, modernizing the legend, but the acting and the way that it just seemed to drag on forever ruined it. About half way in, you’re just wishing it was over.”

It won’t be long before “Rings” is available on DVD, iTunes, and Blu-Ray, though whether or not it is worth buying is up for debate. It may be a wiser bet to purchase the original Japanese version of the movie, “Ring,” or even the first American adaptation, “The Ring.”

• No Rave Reviews for “Rings”

Beyond the Nest

Is Protesting Trendy?

• No Rave Reviews for “Rings”

Sports

North Point Girls Dethrone Severna Park

• No Rave Reviews for “Rings”

A&E

Chamber Choir Performs At The Kennedy Center

• No Rave Reviews for “Rings”

Beyond the Nest

Dear White People

• No Rave Reviews for “Rings”

Top Stories

School Issues Survey

• Top Stories

Universities Importance in the Eyes of Student’s

• No Rave Reviews for “Rings”

Top Stories

Tips on Staying Safe During the Winter

• No Rave Reviews for “Rings”

Beyond the Nest

Women’s Rights Are Human Rights

• No Rave Reviews for “Rings”

A&E

Atlanta Wins At The Golden Globes

• No Rave Reviews for “Rings”

Beyond the Nest

Syria was pleading. Why did We Ignore Them?

No Rave Reviews for “Rings”