North Point Switches to an Hour Lunch

North Point Switches to an Hour Lunch

Starting this fall, North Point will switch from four half-hour lunches, to one hour long school-wide lunch.   

With an hour for lunch comes opportunities for students and staff to become more active and involved in a plethora of activities offered during that time ranging from tutoring to attending clubs and organizations.          

Club activities including the school newspaper would also take place during lunch to eliminate the need to stay after school. That way, students with a lack of transportation don’t have to worry about missing meetings and athletes don’t have to worry about colliding schedules.

It also allows room for newer clubs to form. Through a recent survey, teachers posted any ideas of what they’d be willing to sponsor during the hour lunch. Including a movie club.

The hour lunch not only benefits students, but it also benefits the faculty and staff. Staff members would be able to use that time to run department meetings. Building service workers would only have to clean up after one lunch instead of four.

“When students walk in their first day, we will have a variety of activities for them to partake in,” said Mrs. McClarin who expects students to use their time responsibly. Though she had originally planned to test the new schedule towards the end of this school year, the first day of school would provide a fresh transition.

While the hour would increase socialization in students, it also encourages responsibility and time management skills. “The Real World Starts Here,” says McClarin, “we’re hoping that students are able to make responsible choices on their own.”

Although many students are excited about the idea, other students have concerns, mostly regarding crowded lunch lines and a crowded cafeteria. “I like the four separate lunches better,” says Jaelin Ali (’11), “I’m not too sure if it will work having all the students out at the same time.”

Though there may be a few concerns that the staff is willing to work out, McClarin is sure that everyone would benefit from it. If students break any established rules, they’ll be forced to face the consequences based on the actions committed. However, McClarin isn’t worried about student’s behavioral problems.

What do you think about having an hour lunch? Please follow the link to fill out a Student Survey and let us know!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9DBC2J5

North Point Switches to an Hour Lunch