Meet Coach Lane

Meet Coach Lane

The varsity football team has had an amazing winning streak. Due to their successful strategic moves on the field they have made it to a 6 and 0 record. Though the player’s skills speak for themselves, the team would be nothing without a good foundation.

Head coach, Coach Lane commands attention and respect while training the boys to prepare them for victory. In this Q & A Coach Lane discusses his love for the game, his fool proof tactics on the field, and his stirring approach off the field.

When did you start playing football/stop playing football?

“I started playing in 7th grade in middle school. Where I’m from [New York] you can play freshman football in 8th grade, so I did. I played JV in 9th grade and varsity from 10th-12th grade. I went to college at Cortland State University where I played football for the four years I was there. I believe it was from 1983 to 1987.”

Why do you like football?

“Well, I was introduced to it at an early age. I guess I kept playing because I was drawn to the team aspect and physical nature of the game.”

What made you want to become a football coach?

“I knew I always wanted to be a teacher but I couldn’t decide if I wanted to be a science or a P.E teacher. My life took on the athletic path so when I became a P.E teacher the opportunity to become a coach presented its self and I wanted more of the athletic side to education.”

What as the first thing you said to the team at the start of the season?

“The first thing I said was directed to the seniors. It went along the lines of ‘The season goes by very fast for you all. You’re not going to be playing football forever so take advantage of the opportunity now. Have fun at practice and at the games.’”

What should the top priorities of a HS athlete be?

“Definitely academics. The bottom line is that athletics only last for 4 years but academics last for a life time. Even if you qualify for the college level, you need to realistic about your goals.”

What are some Team Building Activities that you do?

“The main thing is that we go to a team training camp over the summer for four days. This year it was at Sheppard University. During those four days there’s a lot of being together; eating together, sleeping together, and playing together. It’s a way they bond.”

What is the Purpose of HS Football?

“It should be an extension of everyday in the classroom. It’s something else to do. It’s an opportunity to apply what you’ve learned in the classroom outside of it.”

What is your Program Philosophy?

“I tell the players to pay attention to details. If we do the little things right, the big things will be easier. We stick to the fundamentals: run, block, tackle!”

How do you motivate your athletes?

“A lot of the serious athletes have their own self-motivation so it’s all about finding what makes them tick to pull it out to apply it to a good game.”

What do you emphasize? Winning or having fun?

“It goes back to the philosophy. If we do the little things right, the big things will be easier. If we don’t do the little things right then the other team didn’t beat us, we beat ourselves. Winning is important but it’s not everything.”

Be sure to check the schools website www.northpointathletics.org to check for the upcoming game dates and updated stats.

Meet Coach Lane