Students Wear Red for the Dead

Students Wear Red for the Dead

Nimo Thande

Azeezat Adeleke, News Editor

On Thursday April 29, red was everywhere at North Point. This was no coincidence. As part of Red for Dead Day, 180 students donned red t-shirts and remained completely silent beginning in first block. The event symbolizes the teenagers who are killed in car accidents on a yearly basis, especially those who have lost their lives on the roads of Charles County in recent years. 

Red for Dead is a project of the Charles County Association of Student Councils’ Driver Safety Taskforce. All six county high schools will have a Red for Dead Day, coordinated by its Student Government Association. North Point’s SGA worked for days beforehand to prepare and distribute the shirts to homeroom teachers. 

Forty students in 9th and 10th and fifty in 11th and 12th grades volunteered to wear the shirts and attempt not to say a word to anyone, including teachers and friends who, all day long. 

There was “less drama” due to his silence said Thomas Williams (‘11). Williams also felt that “the message is more important than me talking” and to help the cause he turned off his phone and ceased all types of communication. 

“It’s hard because I can’t get my points across easily to people, and some people just don’t really seem to pay attention to me,” said Jessica Barbiarz (‘13). Many students had to result to elaborate charades or hastily scribbled notes for others to understand what they needed to say. 

At the end of the school day, all 180 students participating in the event lined up along North Point’s main hallway, displaying signs with statistics about teen drivers or with messages such as “Click It or Ticket”. After the last bell of the day, students and staff alike passed by and took in the scene, reading the signs or just contemplating what the students, who each represented 40 teens who had died in an accident last year, meant to them. 

“It’s a very good cause and I am always willing to help raise awareness,” remarked Williams, who personally knew a Charles County teenager who died in a car accident. 

“I think it’s a good idea. People need to know that this is an important issue,” said Chase Alston (‘13).

[nggallery id=15]