North Point Aims for Gold in PBIS SET Evaluations

Nimo Thande, Editor-in-Chief

North Point may be up for the gold banner in the PBIS SET evaluations this year.

Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS) is a program implemented in schools all over the nation through The United States Department of Education. Its goals are to improve student academic and behavior outcomes by providing a decision making framework to implement the best evidence based academic and behavioral practices.

School-wide Evaluation Tools (SET) is designed to evaluate the critical features of PBIS during the school year. Among the things it assess includes access features that are in place, determined goals for behavioral support, ongoing efforts towards the support, design and revised procedures to implement the support, and the comparisons of these efforts from year to year.

PBIS at North Point is implemented through various techniques. Students can receive Eagle Bucks for positive behavior and in turn submit them in a raffle to win cool prizes. Students are also offered Eagle Cards, which offer them coupons on special events around the school.

SOARR, which stands for Safety, Organization, Achievement, Respect, and Responsibility, is also another PBIS program North Point has activated throughout the school. Seen through posters hung all over the school and videos posted on the morning announcements, SOARR helps remind students of what their responsibilities are.

“It’s a really good program,” says Mrs. Henderson, North Point’s PBIS Coach. “We use the behavioral data to develop appropriate interventions for students at North Point.”

Though North Point’s PBIS committee is led by Mrs. Akins, Ms. Linton, Ms. Henderson, Ms. McLaughlin, and Mrs. Overbey, everyone is involved. “You know the saying, ‘it takes a whole village to raise a child? Everyone is on the PBIS team,” affirms Henderson.

Last year, North Point received the silver banner, though students and staff aimed for higher. But when it comes to this year’s chance of winning the gold banner, Ms. McLaughlin says, “Our chances of winning are good.”