Student Spotlight: Asante Maat

Alex Huibsch, Editor-In-Chief

Talent, hard work, and craziness are elements that comprise the character of one student in particular. For Asante Maat (19’), he incorporates all three of the aforementioned characteristics into a multitude of different outlets. From acting to creating ridiculously funny YouTube videos, he always finds his time being consumed by producing entertaining content for his fan base, which has grown tremendously over the course of the past few months. “I’ve always enjoyed entertaining people and expressing myself at the same time. This is part of the reason why I have enjoyed my time as an actor for North Point. That being said, my main focus is on building my channel on YouTube at the moment,“ expressed the sophomore student.

Maat’s channel, titled “ASANTE”, showcases the young thespian’s creative spin on vlogs, parodies, and challenges. In watching his videos, a lot of shouting, energy, and satirical jokes on stereotypes, celebrities, and trends can be seen. In addition to the previously mentioned, rambunctious editing and music also add to the hilarity and insanity of Maat’s videos.  “I try to really hook the person watching into my videos. Sometimes I do this by talking to them as if they were actually there, but most of the time I find that my energy captures the attention of my viewers,” shared Maat. When asked what his favorite part of creating videos was, Maat responded, “I love receiving the positivity from my viewers. Of course, you get the inevitable haters, but the loyal people who watch my stuff always outnumber the haters. Overall, I’m really appreciative for all the people sending me love.”

As of right now, Maat has about 1,684 subscribers on YouTube and whopping 15,000 followers on Instagram. When asked what advice he’d give to an up-and-comer in the realm of online entertainment, the young entertainer gave a pretty wise response. “I’d say the most important thing you could do would be to network and collaborate. You got to promote yourself, so by working with other big names, you can easily catch the attention of their fan bases. From my experience, a simple shout-out can get you a lot of new followers, so always be on the lookout,” Maat continued, “Lastly, I just want to stress the importance of sticking with it. There’s always going to be ups and downs—days you can get the creative juices flowing, days when you don’t feel like editing, etc. But keeping consistent when producing content is the key factor, so that your audience always has something to look forward to.” Conclusively, the student is well on his way to getting bigger in the world of online entertainment. By staying true to his own advice, he is finding that his hilarious insanity and hard work is paying off as his own fan base looks forward every week to his crazy, yet entertaining videos.

• Student Spotlight: Asante Maat

Sports

North Point Softball Makes An Impact in 2017

• Student Spotlight: Asante Maat

Sports

North Point Baseball Finishes A Strong Regular Season

• Student Spotlight: Asante Maat

Beyond the Nest

Is Protesting Trendy?

• Student Spotlight: Asante Maat

Sports

North Point Girls Dethrone Severna Park

• Student Spotlight: Asante Maat

A&E

Chamber Choir Performs At The Kennedy Center

• Student Spotlight: Asante Maat

Beyond the Nest

Dear White People

• Student Spotlight: Asante Maat

Top Stories

School Issues Survey

• Student Spotlight: Asante Maat

Beyond the Nest

Women’s Rights Are Human Rights

• Student Spotlight: Asante Maat

A&E

Atlanta Wins At The Golden Globes

• Student Spotlight: Asante Maat

Beyond the Nest

Syria was pleading. Why did We Ignore Them?

Student Spotlight: Asante Maat