Real Steel Packs a Punch

Real Steel was predictable after the first twenty minutes. It wasn’t a typical story, but it had typical meanings and purposes. The film had a collection of events happening all at once. Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman) and his son, Max Kenton (Dakota Goyo), reunited after eleven years of being apart. They shared money problems and an interest in robot-boxing. Real Steel had a very good balance between action and emotional scenes.

The chemistry between Hugh Jackman and Dakota Goyo as actors was sustainable, but it was very dry. A father and a son bonding for the first time should make me feel like being with my father, but it did no such thing. Charlie and Max had an awkward feel whenever they were on screen, but their connection with the audience had a good impact.

Even though Real Steel had a lot to do with the father-son relationship, robot-boxing was a big part of bringing the father and son together. Usually a person sees a father and a son bonding over football or soccer, but not in this case. Here we have the genius of robot-boxing. The selection of robot-boxing was futuristic and well thought out.

Real Steel gave the viewer the “underdog” feeling with Charlie struggling and technically “selling” his son to the aunt, Debra (Hope Davis) and her husband Marvin (James Rebhorn). Charlie gets beat up because he owes money to people of higher importance, but what they don’t see is the father and son’s weapon coming closer.

The rapid change from being at the bottom and going to the top makes the viewer realize anything can be done, even though he or she may have to go into a junkyard to find it.

This movie was entertaining and well organized with a pinch of heart-felt moments. Real Steel earns thumbs up and 4 stars.

Real Steel Packs a Punch