The Hate U Give

Melanie Battle, Editor-in-Chief

On February 28, 2017, author, Angie Thomas, published her debut novel. The Hate U Give follows the life of sixteen-year-old Starr Carter as “she lives between two worlds: the poor black neighborhood she lives in and the fancy suburban prep school she attends.” Starr was managing to balance her life between the contrasting worlds very well, at least up until she witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend, Khalil, by a police officer. Khalil’s death becomes news across the nation. Some are referring to him as a thug, a drug dealer and even a gangbanger, while Starr’s best friend at school even alluded to her belief that Khalil deserved death. Protests begin to break out in Starr’s neighborhood when it becomes known that the police have little interest in investigating the incident, turning the area into a war zone. Everyone wants to know what truly happened the night Khalil was murdered and the only person who can answer the question is Starr.

Currently, The Hate U Give is being made into a film adaptation, with shooting having already begun. The cast will surely be star-studded. The Hunger Games actress, Amandla Stenberg, will be taking on the lead role of Starr Carter, while socially-conscious rapper Common will be playing Starr’s uncle and Regina King and Russel Hornsby will be her parents. The release date hasn’t been announced yet, but it should be some time in the near future. When asked if she would go see the film adaptation junior Erin McNeil said, “Yes.”

“I think it would be an eye opener for people who have never experienced racism and could help ease racial tensions,” junior Amre Keyes confessed when asked if the book could be used to help explain racial tensions that are present in the U.S. In a nation that is constantly being rocked by racial issues that don’t seem to ever go away, The Hate U Give truly is a must read (and soon must see) that gives so much insight into the various perspectives of race relations in America.

• Top Stories

Maya Miller

• Top Stories

Warren Whitaker

• Top Stories

Kristina Dawkins

• Top Stories

Julius Vaunado

• Top Stories

Kevin Rohrbaugh

• Top Stories

Kaseem Bennett

• The Hate U Give

Sports

North Point Softball Makes An Impact in 2017

• The Hate U Give

Sports

North Point Baseball Finishes A Strong Regular Season

• The Hate U Give

Beyond the Nest

Is Protesting Trendy?

• The Hate U Give

Sports

North Point Girls Dethrone Severna Park

The Hate U Give