Katy Perry Kissed A Boy And He Didn’t Like It

Cast of the reboot of American Idol

Cast of the reboot of American Idol

David Buchan/Variety/REX/Shutter

David Buchan/Variety/REX/Shutter

Cast of the reboot of American Idol

Julius Vaunado, Staff Writer

The new American Idol reboot premiered just less than a week ago and it’s already brewing controversy. Contestant Benjamin Glaze unexpectedly got the chance to kiss Katy Perry even though he said he didn’t want to.

During the show’s premiere, Glaze explained to the judges before his audition that he liked his job as a cashier because it allowed him to meet a lot of “cute girls.” “Have you kissed a girl and liked it?”, judge Luke Bryan asked in reference to Perry’s hit single. Glaze responded, “No, I’ve never been in a relationship. I can’t kiss a girl without being in a relationship.” His response caught the attention of Perry, who asked him to walk to the judges’ panel. Glaze proceeded to kiss the singer on the cheek, but it wasn’t enough for her. She then asked for another one, but instead of the cheek, Perry went in for his lips.

Katy Perry kissing Benjamin Glaze on an episode of American Idol

The unwanted move immediately sparked backlash on social media, with many calling out Perry for being inappropriate and inciting double standards and in the rise of the #MeToo movement, many felt that it did more harm than necessary. Senior Donnyae Bush responded, “I think that this whole situation is not okay. If the roles were switched and it was a 30 year old man stealing a kiss from a 19 year old girl, there would be even more outrage.” Glaze later commented on the kiss in an interview explaining, “I was a tad bit uncomfortable. I wanted to save it for my first relationship. I wanted it to be special. Would I have done it if she said, ‘Would you kiss me?’ No, I would have said no.”

While Glaze only said he was uncomfortable and the interview pointed out that he didn’t feel sexually harassed, some still translated the American Idol kiss as sexual harassment. He later had to clarify his statement. “Hi everyone, I would like to clear a few things up for anyone who is confused, concerned, or angry,” he began an Instagram post. “I am not complaining about the kiss from Katy Perry at all, doing a few news reports and being interviewed by many different reporters has caused some major questions.” Senior Tymon Wansel also said, “While I understand why people are so upset over the kiss, the scale of the issue is blown out of proportion. We shouldn’t make a mountain out of a molehill when there are much more serious cases of sexual harassment.”

This story brings up an interesting discussion about consent and harassment. Just because Glaze doesn’t feel offended by Katy Perry’s actions doesn’t mean that the opinions of others on the matter are invalid. Harassment in the media industry is finally being called attention to, so as the conversation develops, double standards may diminish.

• Top Stories

Maya Miller

• Top Stories

Warren Whitaker

• Top Stories

Kristina Dawkins

• Top Stories

Julius Vaunado

• Top Stories

Kevin Rohrbaugh

• Top Stories

Kaseem Bennett

• Katy Perry Kissed A Boy And He Didn’t Like It

Sports

North Point Softball Makes An Impact in 2017

Sports

North Point Baseball Finishes A Strong Regular Season

Beyond the Nest

Is Protesting Trendy?

Sports

North Point Girls Dethrone Severna Park