Fall Sports Season Has Arrived

Fall sports season formally began August 14th, ushering in a period of practices, team work, and school spirit. Buses now line the curb along the North Point stadium while music thumps through the grounds, welcoming the crowd of fans whose roaring cheers can be heard through out the bleachers. Members of these sports teams have been training long and hard, anticipating the new season and preparing to make it a great one.

Two-year varsity soccer player, Kiki Griffith (‘11) said, “This fall season is probably the most exciting season for me yet, especially because I’m a senior. I have a lot of faith in this year’s soccer team.”

Even our newer athletes have gotten into the spirit of the time of year. “The fall season is the greatest because it has all my favorite sports!” added Kristen Griffith (’13).

“I was looking forward to the start of the fall season and of cross country because I’ve been running through out the summer to prepare me for the season. I’m just looking forward to the family atmosphere that we have on the team. We have a great team this year and will be in the running to take SMAC.” Explained cross country runner, Matthew Bonds (’13).

“We have been weight lifting since about February waiting for the 2010-2011 season to start. We all work hard at practice and hope to bring North Point back to its football state win.” Football player, Theo Staggers (’11) replied excitedly.

The players are all excited about their upcoming games, and want nothing more than to shower their school in victory. To lead them there are their coaches who have been making plans, setting goals, and create strategies to ensure that their teams are ready.

“I’m looking forward to a great season,” shared girls soccer coach, Coach DeCook. “I’m looking forward to winning SMAC. We have a great group of girls, a great mixture of skills.”

“The goal is nothing less than the state championship!” said football coach, Coach Serpone. “Go team!”

Fall sports include freshman, junior varsity and varsity football, girls and boys junior varsity and varsity soccer, junior varsity and varsity volley ball, cheer leading, poms, boys and girls cross country, junior varsity and varsity field hockey, and Co-ed golf. The marching band also performs at every home football game.

Senior athletes from each team will be celebrated during Senior Night, which will take place during the last home game of each season.

But fall sports season isn’t all about sports. There are plenty of activities during this time of year for those who prefer to watch sports rather than play them.

Sports fan Ashley Baker (’12) stated, “I’m excited for all the sports in the fall season and to see all my friends play!”

“My favorite sport is football. I’m really excited about the home games because that’s when our school band plays, and that reflects out school spirit.” Shared Trey Lyles (’11).

Students who are interested in attending football games should join Eagle’s Nest, a club sponsored by coach Serpone. At home games, a student section is reserved for members of Eagle’s Nest in the bleachers, and at away games a bus is used to transport the members to and from the location of the game.

Club member Alina Zayas (’11) said, “A few friends of mine were talking about this [Eagle’s Nest] last year. I’m really excited it’s becoming a reality.”

Homecoming should also be kept in mind. North Point’s Student Government Association, or SGA, has been planning for homecoming before the year even started.

“We’ve come up with a lot of great ideas for spirit week,” explained SGA sponsor, Mrs. Griffin.

Spirit week will take place from October 25th to the 30th. Through out the school week, students are encouraged to participate in the wacky spirit days.

“This year we have ‘Where’s Waldo’ day, ‘Tacky Tourist’ day, ‘Mix Match’ day, ‘Crazy Hair’ day and ‘Spirit day’,” added Mrs. Griffin.

On Spirit days, students should show their support by wearing their grade levels color. The freshman color is white, sophomores are yellow, juniors are red, and seniors are black. Class t-shirts will be on sale some time in October. The colors will be displayed during the school pep-rally on October 29th, which is the same day as the varsity homecoming football game.

Returning players and newcomers will be glad to know that powder-puff football is back in action. Practices start on October 1st for girls who are interested. The game will be played on October 28th in the North Point stadium.

The homecoming dance is another major event during the fall sports season. The tickets for the dance go on sale October 21st. Nominations for homecoming court will begin on September 20th. “The theme this year is Mardi Gras/Masquerade,” Mrs. Grifffin announced.

The fall sports season is filled with a number of activities and events suitable for all North Point students. Fall sports players hope to see their fellow schoolmates in the stands cheering them on. Log on to www.northpointathletics.org for future game dates and plan to attend not only the home games, but the away games as well. Make this season a good one. Go EAGLES!

Fall Sports Season Has Arrived