Spring Sports Season Is On Its Way Out

Photo by Murugi Thande
Photo by Murugi Thande

Spring sports season formally began March 1st. Just like the winter season, buses line the curb along the North Point stadium. However, the metal gates have reopened. Students have shed their heavy coats, stormed the outdoor bleachers to cheer on their fellow classmates and embraced the warm weather. Members of these sports teams trained long and hard, anticipating the new season and, as they had hoped, made it even better than it was in the winter.

Spring sports include girls and boys tennis, junior varsity and varsity baseball, girls and boys track & field, junior varsity and varsity softball, and junior varsity and varsity lacrosse. Senior players of these sports were honored and recognized during Senior Night. Every team’s Senior Night took place during their last home game for the season.

For many of the team’s this season was one of the best. They worked hard for their wins, learned from their losses and took pride in their ties. They claim victory with their final records and are sad to see the season end.

“The thing I enjoyed most about the spring season was being out in the warm weather and being out on the field with friends!” said girls varsity Lacrosse player, Amani Cooks (’11).

Boys junior varsity Lacrosse player, Harrison Palmer (’14) shared, “I love Lacrosse, so I’m upset that the season is ending, but I’m really excited about next season. It’s going to be great!”

“Although we didn’t have a winning record, we’re in the play offs hoping to come out and finish strong. As for the actual season, I am definitely going to miss the challenge and the people that I have gotten to know while on the team,” said varsity softball player, Samantha Peoples (’11).

The spring sports season records are as follows: Varsity Baseball ended with 14 wins and 4 losses, while the Junior Varsity with finished with 15 wins and 2 losses. Boys Lacrosse was 2-10 for Varsity and 3-8 for Junior Varsity. Girls Lacrosse came out with 3-9 for Varsity and 4-5-1 for Junior Varsity. Varsity Softball won 6 games and lost 12, while Junior Varsity won 8 and lost 8. Tennis ended with 2-12, girls track was 8 and 4, while the boys came out on top with an undefeated season.

Though the official season is over, a couple of the teams are on their way to compete in SMAC and other regional tournaments such as boys and girls track & field, tennis, varsity softball, boys varsity lacrosse, and girls varsity lacrosse.

Spring Sports Season Is On Its Way Out