Mission Accomplished: Baseball Team Improves, Ends Season One Game Short of Regional Finals

The Varsity baseball team is one of many athletic groups at North Point that has maintained a good level of consistency in the past few years, garnering at least fifteen wins in each of the last five seasons. This season was no different, as the team was 15-5. They ended the season with a 4-2 loss to South River High School in the 4A East Regional Semifinals. Through ups and downs, the Eagles baseball team has proven that it is always a challenge for its competition.

The Eagles started off the season hot, winning their first five games. However, this streak ended with losses to Leonardtown and La Plata. After two more games in which they split, the Eagles began a six game winning streak, which included a win against then-undefeated Chopticon. At the end of the regular season, the Eagles were 14-4.

According to Coach Bill Chichester, one of the most important games of the season was their rematch against La Plata, in which North Point won 5-3. With that win, the Eagles knocked La Plata from their first place spot in the SMAC Standings.

With their 14-4 record, the Eagles received a first round bye in the 4A East Region of the State Playoffs. In the second round, they routed Arundel 9-1, before eventually falling to South River in the regional semifinals. Even with their untimely playoff exit, the Eagles had a great season.

“My favorite part of coaching this year was the chemistry of the team,” says Coach Chichester. “I [also] liked how they came ready to learn, practice, help, share, and really become a family to me.” He also commended their work ethic and love for the game, as “they never wanted to leave the field.”

After such a successful season, one has to wonder what is to become of the team next year. There will be a few losses for the Eagles, with the graduation of players like Tre Harding (team leader in batting average), Xavier Hollins (second on the team in stolen bases), pitchers Ryan Peabody and Alex Fowler, as well as outfielders Taylor Nissen and Gavin Norris. Even with these losses, Chichester believes that the Eagles can be just as good next year. He said, “there is plenty of talent among the underclassmen to make a similar run, if not better, for next season.”

In the past, the Eagles have adjusted well to change and have gone on to have successful seasons. It is hard to believe that next year won’t be any different. With the return of ten underclassmen, as well as upcoming players from the 15-3 JV squad, the Eagles are sure to have another great season next year.