Senior Nights Begin as Fall Sports Near the End of the Regular Season

Every year around mid-August, the Fall Sports season begins as teams hold tryouts and practices. Long two-a-day practices in the scorching heat leaves players yearning for the regular season to begin. For some of these student-athletes, this will be their last year enduring the dog days of August, surviving cuts, and being part of a high school team.

For the last game of a team’s regular season, these very seniors are celebrated with a pregame ceremony for their contributions to their respective teams. Carried on by schools across the nation for many decades, senior student-athletes at North Point are given a bouquet of flowers while walking arm in arm with their parents in front of their peers and fans. Come game time, the stakes are raised as the seniors are determined to end their home careers on a high note.

On Thursday, October 13th, the Girls Field Hockey team and the Boys Soccer team both hosted their respective Senior Nights. The Field Hockey ladies kicked off the night against the Northern Patriots of Calvert County. Carrying a 3-6 record going into the contest, the Lady Eagles looked to build on their two game winning streak. Northern, boasting a 4-4 record, had different plans. The Lady Patriots took control of the game early on, and North Point was only able to put up one goal in a 5-1 loss. However, the loss didn’t take away from the bittersweet joy of Senior Night for the Lady Eagles.  “The participation of everyone including the athletic director, coaches, parents, relatives, and even other [Fall] athletes celebrating us seniors made Senior Night an unforgettable experience,” said Tiana Woods (’12).

After a one hour lightning delay, the Boys Varsity Soccer team began the second half of the Senior Night double-header. Also playing Northern, the Eagles came into the game with only one conference loss at the hands of Leonardtown High School. North Point had no intentions of letting Northern beat them in their last home game, and seized momentum from the moment the game began. Led by Chris Mashinki’s (’12) hat trick and another goal from Daniel Cordova (’12), the Eagles shut out the Patriots 4-0. “[This game] was so special because we played our best game all season on Senior Night,” stated captain Bryce Fugitt. “It was a memorable game.”

Win or lose, Senior Night is always a special night for senior student-athletes. Whether they are a four year starter, a first time player, or anywhere in between, Senior Night is a celebration well deserved for its honorees. With three Senior Nights down (the Cross Country teams held theirs on October 5th), there is still time to attend another sport’s Senior Night before the playoffs begin.