End of the Game: Girls’ Varsity Soccer Recap

The varsity girls’ soccer team had a stellar season this year, ending with a record of nine wins and seven losses. Each of those losses was just by one point. The team also made it to the second round of the playoffs. That, however, is where their season ended when they lost to Broadneck High School by one point.

This season’s team was made up of a mixture of girls. There were players from every grade level, including five freshmen, which is a considerably larger number than the team has usually had. The team was made up of a lot of seniors and underclassmen. “They mixed well together,” said Head Coach Mr. DeCook. DeCook was proud of the girls and how they performed this season.

At the end of the season, the girls had a winning streak of five games. They won the last four regular games and the first playoff game. The girls put in a lot of hard work to make it to playoffs, but the leading scorer for the season was Julianne Lo Grasso (’12) “The last half of the season we played how we wanted,” said DeCook. Many of the girls were also proud of their work this season. “We performed well and worked together like family,” said Marissa Howk (’12).

There were many high and low points during the season for the girls. The biggest game in Howk’s opinion was the Leonardtown game.  “The Leonardtown game was a big success this season, even though we lost by one point, we stayed up to their [playing] level,” said Kallie McCandless (’12). The Leonardtown game was also Senior Night, which was also a favorite amongst many of the girls, especially members of the Class of 2012.

There were nine seniors on the team this season and even though they will be leaving, there is still much talent on the team, with the five freshmen and other underclassmen players. Many of the freshmen are excited to follow in the footsteps the seniors have left and have big goals for the coming seasons. “My goals are to start every game and to work as hard as I can,” said Noelle Williams (’15) on her coming seasons. DeCook wishes all of his seniors the best in their future endeavors. “This group is very special,” commented DeCook on the senior players. DeCook has been coaching the Girls’ Varsity Soccer Team for four years and many girls on the team have been on there for that same time period. He said that this group of girls has made a big impact on North Point soccer. “They put North Point on the map and where we are today,” commented DeCook.

Many of the senior players are sentimental about their last season on the soccer team. “It is really emotional and upsetting, but exciting at the same time. I really enjoyed playing with this team,” said Annie Mosedale (’12). The seniors also have many words of encouragement and high hopes for the girls that will be following in their footsteps. As Nicole McCarthy (’12) jokingly advised, “Keep your heads up and make it pass the second round of playoffs.”