Eagles Soar as Warriors are Conquered

Eagles Soar as Warriors are Conquered

Coming off a 2010-11 season in which they went 27-0 and won the Maryland 4A State Championship, the 5th ranked North Point Varsity Basketball team has very high expectations once again. First up for 2011-2012: the LaPlata Warriors. With three players at or above the height of 6’4, LaPlata would be a worthy conference opponent, or so it seemed.

The night started off with the presentation of the State Championship trophy. Every fan in the building cheered as all of the members of last year’s team were recognized. Afterwards, it was game time. And from the opening tip off to the final whistle, it was all North Point.

The game started off with a bang, as Naim Muhammad (’13) got a big slam to put his team up 2-0. Muhammad, who finished the game with 10 points, stated that “[It] felt good starting off the year with a slam.”  They never looked back from there. A couple more baskets were scored, making the score 6-0.  LaPlata tried speeding up the tempo to counter North Point’s size in the middle, but a big charge taken by center Marquise Watts (’14) fueled the crowd and the run continued. At the end of the 1st quarter, the Eagles led by a score of 23-2.

The second quarter began, and it was more of the same. This time, however, it was Anthony Williams (’13) who drew the offensive foul.  Williams said, “I was very excited and that really picked up the intensity in the game.” He is exactly right. The stands were louder than ever, and the Eagles built a 26 point lead. If not for a small scoring run led by LaPlata senior guard Augustine Adams, the halftime margin would have been 30 or more points. 44-22 would have to suffice for the Eagles.

The second half consisted of two things: coasting and experimenting.  With the game well in hand, North Point did all that was needed to keep their huge lead, and finished the third quarter up 65-39. The reserve players dominated the fourth quarter, and they held their ground well. As different lineups rolled in and out of the game, each player got this chance to contribute to the 84-55 victory.

“[Our] goals for the season: 1st goal is to get the #1 seed. Then win Regional’s. Then finally win states,” said Edward Mouton (’12). Primed with three returning starters from an undefeated state championship squad, a seasoned veteran of the game at head coach, and an outstanding fan base, the Eagles look to be ready for another run at perfection. Only time will tell if they can indeed achieve a repeat of last season.

Eagles Soar as Warriors are Conquered