Defense Keys the Lady Eagles to Victory

In their first home contest of the 2011-2012 Winter Season, the Lady Eagles varsity basketball squad had high hopes in their matchup against a struggling Lackey team. At 2-0, North Point expected nothing less than a win against the 0-3 Lady Warriors.

The Lady Eagles began the game smothering the Lady Warriors on defense, forcing turnovers that resulted in offensive success. By the end of the first quarter, North Point was leading 16-3. Although it was too early to say that the Lady Eagles had ran away with the game, it was clear that a blowout was in the near future. The second quarter was much the same and the Lady Eagles went into the locker room with a 32-8 lead.

Once the third quarter commenced, North Point went right back to work. Offensively, the Lady Eagles began to get sloppy, giving the ball to Lackey on many occasions. To the dismay of the Lady Chargers, though, North Point’s defense did not waver; in fact, it tightened up and didn’t allow a single point in the third quarter

Going into the fourth quarter with a 61-8 lead, North Point spent the rest of the game giving minutes to reserves and cruising to the victory. The Lady Eagles gave an impressive show for the fans in attendance, taking the game in an emphatic 73-16 drubbing. “I would say we played pretty well defensively,” stated Head Coach Michael Serpone. “It’s pretty hard to figure out what to do on the offensive end, so it gives the head coach a pretty hard time of figuring out what they need to do to beat us.” With a defense that averaging 24 points per game, it is pretty clear that it might take a while for another team to outdo the Lady Eagles

Defense Keys the Lady Eagles to Victory