Spring Forward into the New Sports Season

As winter is on its way out the door, so are winter sports. Here in the next couple of weeks all North Point athletes will be preparing for the new 2012 spring season as it rolls around. With this being said, what can we expect out of the spring sports season for North Point?

Last year North Point had many successful teams. Among them was boys’ varsity baseball, coached by Coach Bill Chichester, who led them to a total of fifteen wins and five losses, fourth place in SMAC and the third round of the playoffs before losing a close one to South River. The varsity squad did lose eight seniors (William Harding, Alex Fowler, and Xavier Hollins to name a few) due to graduation. With many well rounded returning varsity players, Coach Chichester should have no issue in replacing them.

On the other side of the spectrum you’ll catch the North Point girls’ softball team, which is looking to improve on last year’s performance in which they were able to take home six wins and suffered thirteen losses. Unlike the boys’ baseball team, the girls only lost three seniors, and Coaches Mulloy and Bedillion. However, they aren’t to be overlooked, with a lot of experienced underclassmen and upperclassmen. It will be interesting to see how first year head Coach Anthony Jones and his team will approach the season.

Fairly new to North Point, and Charles County, is lacrosse. With this spring season being the fourth season for both boys’ and girls’ lacrosse, one should expect the unexpected. In 2011, the boys had a tough season only coming away with two wins. Coach Sollohub will be lacking some of his key scoring offensive and defensive players this year due to the fact that Jarel Chrisholm, Mike Hill, Lomond Johnson, Theo Staggers, Quientin Mack, and Andrew Key have all graduated. That being said, look out for this year’s seniors to take up leadership roles this upcoming season.

Girls’ lacrosse is also hoping to turn things around from last year as they were the best North Point lacrosse team of the season, winning four out of fourteen games and taking home a playoff win against Westlake. Unfortunately coach Fair is going to have to make some adjustments with the loss of Darby Knowlan, Deena Walker, Asia Bell, Lauryn Coombs  and others, totaling nine players who have graduated. The majority of the offense and midfield will be gone, which means the returning girls have a lot of responsibility this season.

On the hard ground green and red courts, one can find the co-ed tennis team coached by Coach Michael Serpone and his Assistant Coach Jason Dutrow. With a tough schedule, North Point tennis ended up taking home two wins and top 11 at SMAC tournament. However, North Point gave the other teams a run for their money. The team this year is looking to do the same this time around. The squad lost Jordan Ganz and Krystal Yahp, plus eight other seniors, but have plenty of potential and depth on the team.

And lastly, there are the boys’ and girls’ track and field teams. Last season, the boys’ team put up an impressive season as they went 12-0 and claimed first in SMAC, first at the TC Williams invitational, SMAC Championships, Class 4A Region Meet, and finished fifth in 4A at states to end the season. Coach Reisinger plans on doing the same again this season, with many key athletes returning and experiences under their belts don’t get in the boys way. The girls didn’t do too shabby themselves, as they finished the regular season fifth in SMAC with a record of 8-4. They had some things to brag about too as they finished fourth at the Cougar Relays, second at the Best Buy of Waldorf track classic, fourth at the TC Williams invitational, third at SMAC championships and Regional’s, and ended up taking 20th in the State.