Eagles Sweep at First Home Meet

Coming off of 2-5 campaigns in the Indoor Track season for both Boys and Girls, the North Point Outdoor Track and Field teams have started the season on a mission to right the wrongs of the earlier season. After blowout victories over La Plata to begin the season, the Eagles came home for their first home quad meet against Thomas Stone, Lackey, and Calvert High Schools.

The Girls, reigning SMAC Champions from the Indoor season, won each head to head matchup by at least 40 points, including a 100-45 victory over the Lady Cougars. The Lady Eagles had eight first place finishes in individual events, including two from Girls Indoor Track Athlete of the Year Mercedes Tillman (’13) in the 200 and 400 Meter Dash, and  three from All-SMAC Second Team member Danielle Baker (’13) in the Triple Jump, Long Jump, and High Jump. Other notable victories included a 1600 Meter Run win for junior All-SMAC First Teamer D’Atra Davis as well as a Discus Throw first place for Julianne LoGrasso (’12). The Girls also claimed first in two relays – the 4×200 and 4×100 Meter Relays – and second in the other two.

The Boys ran with a large chip on their shoulder, losing the last five meets of their Indoor Track campaign after beginning the season with two straight victories. Their poor showing in the winter seemed long forgotten, as the Eagles blew out their competition, including an important 99-50 victory over the Winter SMAC Champion Thomas Stone squad. In 13 individual events, the Boys claimed first place in eight of them, including a sweep of the first three spots at High Jump by returning State Champion Michael Abraham (’12), Dimitre Snowdy (’12), and Myles Wynn (’12). Abraham and Snowdy also took first and second place, respectively, in the Triple Jump. Winter All SMAC First Team selection Christopher Jones (’13) won the 1600 Meter Run, the same event that earned him his first team spot. Junior Denzel Hill took first in the 200 Meter Run. The Eagles also held five second place finishes, and split between first and second place for the four Relay events.

With these victories, both Track squads are now 4-0 in their Outdoor campaigns. After the Waldorf Track Classic on Saturday, April 14th, the Eagles and Lady Eagles will be taking on Patuxent and Northern High Schools at home on April 17th. This will be their last home meet of the season.

Eagles Sweep at First Home Meet