Lady Eagles End Slump with a Tribute

After beating the Chopticon Lady Braves in the first game of the season, the North Point Girls Lacrosse team proceeded to drop four straight games by double digits. On Tuesday night, hosting the La Plata Lady Warriors, North Point was playing for more than just a win. That game was dedicated to North Point senior golfer Eric Sawchak, who was recently diagnosed with Lymphoma. Sporting green headbands and his initials on their calfs, the Lady Eagles needed more than emotion to beat La Plata, who bested them in their only matchup 10-5 last season. “The La Plata game is something we as a team look forward to every year; it’s the biggest game of the season,” stated captain Allie Fetterolf (’12).

With a hat trick by Alyssa Sato (’12), two more goals from Fetterolf, and support from other members of the team, the Lady Eagles triumphed over the Lady Warriors in their big game, 8-5. Following the opening goal by Fetterolf, La Plata proceeded to score two consecutive goals to put themselves ahead 2-1 with 15 minutes left in the first half. After a Lady Warriors penalty lead to a missed direct shot, Sato caught the errant shot and scored the first of her three goals. In less than one minute, she scored again to put North Point up 3-2. Then, just as quickly as she scored her second goal, she recorded her third and final goal for the night to put the Lady Eagles up by two. “My goals were somewhat important in keeping us up in the first half, since I’m an attack, I usually get the best opportunities for an open shot,” said Sato regarding her three goals on the night. The half ended with La Plata and North Point scoring one more goal, respectively, with the latter credited to Fetterolf. The Lady Eagles led 5-3 at this point.

In the second half, North Point began to break the game wide open. Senior Marissa Howk scored North Point’s sixth goal of the game, which was followed by a Megan Wysocki (’14) goal off of a Fetterolf assist. The Lady Eagles would score one more time on the night from Haley Curtis (’14), and allow a season low five goals to claim victory. Says goalie Angela Campbell (’12) on her best performance of the season, “Really, all I was thinking was focus this is finally your time to shine, your dad is going to be there, this is for Eric, this is for you too. I knew that it would be a good game and I know that I have been preparing for this and I knew I was ready.”

Tuesday’s win put the girls at two wins on the season, bringing their record to 2-5 after a Friday night loss to Patuxent. The Lady Eagles will be playing neighbor Westlake High School at home on Wednesday, April 18th, at home. In five meetings, the Lady Eagles have yet to lose to the Lady Wolverines.

Lady Eagles End Slump with a Tribute