Boats, Love, Criminals and… Singers? Hey, Anything Goes!

Quirky sailors, love triangles, criminals and catchy tunes.  This year’s annual spring musical was Anything Goes and North Point did not disappoint.  The story starts as passengers set sail aboard the U.S.S American cruise ship for a trip to London.  Problems arise shortly as soon as Billy Crocker (Trey Lyles (’11)) steps foot on the ship.  Once Billy sees his old flame Hope Harcourt (Jessica Kirkham(’13) with her newly pronounced fiancé, Sir Evelyn Oakleigh (James McCollum(’12)), it is his mission to sneak onto the ship and win her back.  With the help of local celebrity Reno Sweeny (Nicole George(’11)) to “distract” Oakleigh, he may have a shot.

Love is not the only problem on the cruise.  Public Enemy #13, Moonface Martin (Brad Sharper(’12)), and his galpal Bonnie (Samantha Baker(’12)) fear they may cause trouble with the top criminal, who is also riding the ship.  Can they find a good enough disguise to prevent being caught? As new loves and odd friendships form, the cast had a song and laugh for every moment.

Co-stage manager Shelby Burton (’12) thought “the musical went great.  It was probably the most professionally done show ever to go on at North Point. The actors were very entertaining with their characters’ voices and we had very few technical difficulties.” As the show was successful, Burton’s favorite aspect of the musical was “The people…everyone has a common goal, to put on a great show. We all work together so well and have fun the process. Not only are we co-workers, but we’re great friends. The worst part is at the end of the show when we all have to go home and we realize that this was the last production for many of our seniors.”

Aly Engle (’11) thought that Anything Goes was a great way to end my last production. “I couldn’t ask for a better cast and crew.  The musical was funny and entertaining and a lot of fun.”  Engle’s favorite part of the musical was to “be with a group of people that I love every day.  I get to sing and dance and have fun with them.” Being a part of North Point’s Theater department has been a big part of many students’ lives.  “I cried during the curtain call of our last performance,” remarked Engle.

The musical was also a hit with the audience as well.  Rebecca Creighton (’11) “loved the scenery.”  North Point’s carpentry classes worked hard to produce an actual cruise ship for the stage.  Creighton went on to say that “The actors seemed really comfortable and I thought it was really cool that the band was on set.”  In past performances, Mr. VanDyke lead the bands in the pit of the stage, but this year, they were on it.  The band made the audience feel that it was watching a movie with background music.

Mr. Minor, Mr. Labelle, Mrs. Dutrow, and many others who were involved with the production made sure that Anything Goes kept the audience laughing and smiling throughout the night.

[nggallery id=79]