Senior Mentors: Choose Wisely

As the school year winds down, the Class of 2013 has some important things to hash out as its members rise to become seniors. They begin to look into colleges and other post high school plans, but there are some very important details to cover at school. One important detail for juniors is the selection of a senior mentor. This is a required step when completing the senior portfolio, but this would still be an important step whether graded or not.

When picking a senior mentor there are two important factors to think about: how well you get along with a person and their availability. A senior mentor is a person that you should go to with any of your senior problems, whether that is writing a resume or reviewing colleges. If you don’t get along with your senior mentor it can make for a strained relationship. “You don’t want to pick the first teacher you see, especially if you didn’t have the best relationship with them when you were in their class,” said Doug Tonnuci (’12).

“Teachers have very busy schedules so you have to keep that in mind,” commented Mrs. Smith, AP English Literature and Composition Teacher and Senior Mentor. Teachers have tutoring and activities during NEST as well as after school meetings and practices. Mentor meetings take a while when reviewing resumes and scholarship essays and discussing edits and other steps that need to be taken in preparation for graduation and college.

It is also essential to pick a mentor as soon as possible. The most popular teachers can fill up faster than one thinks.

Senior Mentors: Choose Wisely