Taking a Moment to Appreciate

Taking a Moment to Appreciate

With the month of May comes the arrival of a busy time for students. With the stresses of Advance Placement and HSA testing, finishing up those final projects, and seniors preparing for their graduation, it is very easy to overlook a day where vital members of the school are celebrated; National Teacher’s Appreciation Day.

Celebrated on May 6th, Teacher’s Appreciation Day is a day for the appreciation of teachers and a day to honor the contributions of teachers within the school and the entire community. The holiday can be traced as far back as the 1980s when the National Parent-Teacher Association established Teacher Appreciation Week as the first full week of May. The National Education Association (NEA) Representative Assembly then voted to make the Tuesday of that week National Teacher Day.

Here at North Point, the Parent-Teacher-Student Organization hosted a Teacher Appreciation Luncheon on May 1st to show recognition and gratitude for teachers here at North Point. Other students gave gifts as signs of appreciation for their educators.

“I think recognizing Teacher’s Appreciation Day is important because teachers deserve to get appreciated for all of the learning they’ve passed down to us” voiced Devin Brown (’15) “I don’t think they get enough recognition for the things they do.”

Teacher’s Appreciation Day is not the only day that tends to be overlooked, another day that is sometimes not acknowledged is National School Nurse’s day, which is held on May 8th to recognize and appreciate the nurses and their role in the nation’s schools.

Several teachers and staff impact the lives of students every day. So, the next time one is passing the Nurse’s office, or sitting in a teacher’s classroom, do not be afraid to drop a simple “Thank you” for the work they do, two words that’s sure to bring a smile to any face.

Taking a Moment to Appreciate