North Point’s Brightest Inducted into the National Honor Society

Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character.  These are the four principles a student should have, and to be able uphold a grade point average of 3.75 or higher, to be a member of the National Honor Society. Students can be sophomores, juniors, or seniors to be eligible to apply for NHS, so there are many chances throughout high school to join. Although there are many opportunities, students should have a desire to want to be in National Honor Society.  

Dressed up and fairly talkative, a long line of eager students stretched from the Printing Technology classroom all the way to the music rooms.  “You guys are awesome. You guys are the best of the best,” said Mrs. McLaughlin, sponsor of the National Honor Society chapter at North Point. “This is your night!”

Last year there were sixty five students inducted into NHS but this year the National Honor Society welcomed ninety eight new inductees.  Many students were eligible to join NHS but there were some that had something extra that made them perfect for the role.  Students were asked to have at least two letters of community service with their and application.  On top of that teachers were asked for feedback to see how the students perform in the classroom. 

New inductees and their parents have a right to celebrate. The National Honor Society requires students to go through a rigorous application process to be selected. Students must maintain a 3.75 grade point average or higher throughout high school and meet additional qualifications based on scholarship, leadership, service, and character.   

Both Sarah Pakzad (’10) and Julia Park (’10) alluded to the prestige that the club brings. “Not everybody makes it,” remarked Pakzad (’10). “It makes you feel important.” Likewise, Jess Gordon (’10) stated that membership looks really good for college applications.

The ceremony was held in the auditorium, which was dimly lit by electric votives. Students confidently walked across the stage as their supporters looked on. “I’m proud,” remarked Mr. Castano, when asked about how he felt about his son Tim Castano (’12), being inducted.

The long process of choosing the new members can be stressful for the student. Some were so overwhelmed that they thought that they would be rejected.  Tiana Woods (’12) admits she was “a little surprised” that she was accepted in NHS. 

“I wanted to believe I’d get in but of course, I was a little apprehensive,” claims Woods. Woods went on to say she “feels very honored to be a member of this prestigious society and excited for my next two years as a member.”  All the hard work you do can really pay off in the end. 

For students who don’t get selected, rejection can feel pretty cruel. Letters are sent home explaining which areas they need to improve on so they can be selected next year. “Nobody’s name is seen, so it’s nothing personal,” explains Mrs. McLaughlin. “Students can be fabulous in one area, but not in another.”

However, rejection isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Students can learn a lot in the year they have to wait before they can re-apply. Janice Laforteza (’10), who was previously rejected, encourages students to not give up.  “Definitely do more community service. I got a lot of hours in by working towards becoming a certified nursing assistant. If you’re in a club, be committed. It’ll be worth it in the end.”

After reciting the National Honor Society pledge, the ceremony commenced. Parents and supporters immediately rose out of their seats, with a round of thunderous applause quickly following. Standing on the risers, the inductees were smiling and looking onward to the crowd. They deserved every minute of recognition.

Linda McLaughlin, head of National Honor Society, believes that the NHS “is a great opportunity young people have to achieve even higher goals.”  NHS is a chance for the students to get their opinions and ideas out to the school community.

If you keep up good grades, join a few out of school activities, and work hard, who knows? Maybe you will be next to stand up on that stage being inducted into next year’s National Honor Society.