Meet Mr. Van Dyke

Meet Mr. Van Dyke

“Be who you are, and say what you mean, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind”

-Dr. Seuss

That very quote is the same one that Mr. Van Dyke always lives by. For those who do not know him, Mr. Van Dyke is the North Point band director. For those who do know him, he is their skillful and sometimes philosophical teacher.

Mr. Van Dyke was born and raised in-state, in Chestertown, Maryland. Growing up, he didn’t always plan to be a band teacher.

“I actually wanted to become a baseball player”, said Mr. Van Dyke, with a smile. He said that he really started getting into music in the 9th grade, because, “I had a great band teacher who exposed me to all types of music, from symphonic to jazz band, and so on.”

Mr. Van Dyke has accomplished in his career what many wish they could. Before North Point, he taught at three other high schools, including Thomas Stone. He was once chosen to be the director of the Maryland All-State Band in 1995, and was the director of the All-County band for Charles County for the 2008-09 school year.

In his off time, Mr. Van Dyke enjoys reading, gardening, and golfing. “Right now, I’m reading Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad,” he said. Regardless of what he’s doing, though, Mr. Van Dyke has made his presence known among the North Point community.

Meet Mr. Van Dyke