The Charles County Fair Arrives Once Again

Driving down Route 301, past the center of La Plata and into the heart of the county, the long line of cars all headed in one direction tells you all you need to know: the Charles County Fair is back

As summer comes to an inevitable end, the Fair has become its annual last hurrah, dating all the way back to 1924. Students get a break from school to go and be merry, spending the day with friends in a frenzy to ride all of the rides and check out all of the exhibits. Classic amusements like the Tilt-a-Whirl and Ferris Wheel are joined by everything else one would expect at the Fairgrounds – livestock, carnival games, art shows, and musical performance. A cross section of Charles County society- tattooed men in tank tops, teenagers in bright sneakers and skinny jeans, parents carrying their young children- wanders about, taking in the scene.

“It’s really loud and hectic, but still has an air of fun…once you get past the smell coming from the barns,” said Kaylah Bovard (‘11) of the Fair’s atmosphere. The bright, blinking lights and screaming people on dizzying rides certainly contribute to the hectic environment.

Jessica Babiarz (‘13) went to the Fair on a beautiful Saturday afternoon because she “wanted to hang out with (her) friends” and continue the tradition of going every year since she has lived in Charles County.

“I really like the animals, and the rides I don’t really trust. I also like the performances that some of the dance studios put on,” Babiarz said.

Bovard echoed those thoughts, stating, “I really don’t like the rides at the fair, I just go because it’s something to do and I get to hang out with my friends.”

While Bovard is partial to crisp funnel cake buried under powdered sugar and Babiarz is a fan of kettle corn, both girls agree on one thing- Fair food is tops. The scent of caramel apples, corndogs, cheesy nachos, fries and other traditional fair cuisine is impossible to escape.

North Point students were out in full force at the Fair. Twenty five members of the Junior Air Force ROTC performed exhibition routines for Fair goers. “The purpose of the exhibition was to show off our talent and the progress we’ve made in just three weeks (since the start of school),” said Lt. Col. Ray, an AFJROTC instructor. Three teams of students performed: an unarmed regulation drill team, led by Jamese Hutton and Jeffrey Ellis, an armed showcase team, led by Terrance Hayes, and one individual exhibition featuring Hayes.

A tent featuring North Point’s STI programs was also at the event, run by Mr. Gilbert and Mr. Jones, the Print Tech and Carpentry teachers, respectively. “The tent was a way of advertising the computer programs in Charles County. We handed out brochures we made for every program,” said Mr. Gilbert.

Though the Fair has now closed up shop for this year, it won’t be long before the lights are lit, the rides are whirling, and the music is playing yet again.

[imagebrowser id=30]