Students and Parents Attend STI Open House

As the sun set on Monday, October 11, North Point buzzed with the sounds of hundreds of parents and their middle school students excitedly walking the halls of their prospective high school. The STI Open House, held biannually, is an opportunity for current eighth graders to visit some of the seventeen programs offered at North Point before they apply later this year.

“Good evening and welcome to North Point!” said Ms. Hill to the parents and students who filled both the lower and upper bleachers, the crowd extending to the upstairs balcony. “It’s always so invigorating to see so many people eager to see what North Point has to offer.”

Before releasing the Open House attendees to session one of the night, Ms. Hill discussed why students should apply to this school. “The only reason that you should be here is because you’re interested in one of our seventeen programs,” she stressed, noting that “beautiful facilities” or a good football team were not valid reasons to enter an STI program. Parents listened closely as Ms. Loux, North Point’s Admissions Officer, spoke further on the competitive months long application process, noting that only 280 eigth graders will be accepted for the 2011-2012 school year.

After the group was released to visit the various programs, classrooms were packed. The crowd flowed out into the hallways in Culinary Arts and Health Occupations, where people peered into windows to get a look inside.

North Point “helps get toward what you want in life…the subjects you pick will get you ready for college”, said the father of Jessie Rogers, a prospective General Smallwood eighth grader interested in Cisco, Engineering, and Health Occupations.

“I like how everyone seems like a family and the school is very welcoming,” remarked Kaylah Lally, an eighth grader currently attending a private school. Her mother agreed, stating that they have “heard positive things about the school.”

Ms. Mulloy, a Cisco instructor, was excited for the Open House. “My favorite part is watching the kids’ expressions when they watch a video about what they’ll learn,” she said.

North Point students were also present throughout the night. Criminal Justice students directed the large amount of traffic, Junior Air Force ROTC students served as guides throughout the night, pointing people unfamiliar with the building in the right direction, and students in other STI programs were available to answer questions.

Due to the popularity of these programs, another Open House will be held in November.