Future Business Leaders Sponsor Week Long Event

On Monday, February 14, the color purple was ubiquitous at North Point. This was far from coincidence; students wore purple to support the March of Dimes Kickoff day, part of the larger Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) week. For five days the FBLA, which is advised by Mrs. Hosendorf and Mrs. Pierce, sponsored themed days to increase awareness of the club. As President Ti’ona Smith (’11) explained, “FBLA week is kind of like our homecoming”.

After showing their support for reducing the premature birth rate, FBLA spent Tuesday “dressed for success” in business attire, while Wednesday was devoted to showing appreciation for teachers. Thursday was centered on FBLA Fellowship and Friday featured a Knockout Challenge that raised funds for March of Dimes, a charity that all FBLA clubs across the country contribute to.

This five day spectacle was long in the making. “While we have been bringing together ideas since last May, we officially began planning for FBLA since the beginning of this school year,” said Smith. The club’s officers and members spent weeks corresponding with one another to come up with ideas.

A highlight of FBLA week was the Knockout Challenge, which required a two dollar donation from participating students. The final five competitors will go on to compete during half time at a Boys Westlake-North Point boy’s basketball game.

During NEST, business leaders from the community spoke to FBLA members. Prior to the start of the week, the club’s officers were looking forward to showing local entrepreneurs that their chapter is superior to others in the area, as well as proving that the school as a whole “is full of successful and bright students”.

Prior to this week, the FBLA has been focused on getting the North Point school store, described by Smith as “number one example of how our FBLA members are truly future business leaders”, up and running.

For North Point’s future business leaders, this week was not just a time for enjoyment or fundraising, but also a moment to celebrate how far they have come. In the words of Smith, “our FBLA has tremendously grown. We have doubles, almost tripled, in the size of our club. I am very anxious to see all of our hard work and plans come into play.”