Farewell Tomorrow, Hello Today

Photo by Murugi Thande
Photo by Murugi Thande

Today, someone said to me “This is it. This is the end, Jada.” Butterflies swarmed my stomach as I dwelled on those words. It’s hard to believe that it’s really over, almost as hard as it is to write these words without crying. These tears, however, are filled with sorrowful joy and I’ve realized that these are the best type.

The countdown began on the very first day of school. The class of 2011 flaunted their smiles knowing there were only 180 days left, but now, as the numbers reach their end, the students fight back tears as the last few days slip away.

As we seniors walk the hallways for the final time, we reflect back on the past four years filled with gut busting, tear jerking, and heart wrenching memories that we are grateful for and will never forget because they made us who we are today and will help mold us into who we will be in future.

As I reflect back to 8th grade year, I vividly remember my very first day of school. It was the first time I had ever been enrolled in a public school and I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. When the clock struck 7:50 am, I descended from the bus and was consumed by the sea of students who seemed more familiar with the hallways than I thought I could ever be. I misread the room numbers on my schedule and went to the wrong classroom, twice. At lunch, I forget my student number and embarrassingly held up the line. When 2:50 pm rolled around I couldn’t find my bus. I believe that I still remember that day because it is the only true testament that shows how far I’ve come as a student at North Point.

We are all excited about change and what the future has in store for us, but I caution everyone to keep one thing in mind. Mrs. Hill constantly says “The real world starts here, create your own tomorrow.” Only now do I see the significance of that phrase. We can do anything we put our minds to, and achieve everything we aspire to, but we must remember that it all starts with us. Even though we seniors have grown out of our awkward phases and are confidently reaching for the stars, we can never forget where we came from as we get to where we’re going.

We will always remember losing our voices at the big game in the stadium, fighting our way through the crowded hallways, printing last minute essays in the media center, openly mocking the school lunches but secretly enjoying them, periodically glaring at the clock during class, and cheering with friends at school sanctioned events.

To the person who made the statement mentioned above, I see now why it is hard to believe that this era is really over. That’s because it is not. We should not look at this as the end, only the beginning, not a finished book, only a new chapter, not a road block, only a round-about. I am grateful for everything I experienced within the North Point walls and am proud to call myself an Eagle. My only hope is that the classes of 2012, 2013, 2014 and the other hundreds of classes to come continue to soar like the eagles we have. Farwell, North Point, never will I forget. Let’s go, Eagles!

Farewell Tomorrow, Hello Today