Meet Mr. Simms

Teacher, guidance counselor, administrator, Mr.Simms has basically done it all! He also has the challenge of being a family man.

After high school Mr. Simms was accepted into Salisbury State College, which is now known as Salisbury University. He obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences and Education. This degree allowed Mr. Simms to get many jobs in the school system.

Before becoming an administrator, Mr. Simms was a social studies teacher for La Plata and McDonough High Schools. Then, he took a job as a guidance counselor at John Hanson Middle School and Westlake High School. Soon he became an administrator, which he has done for eleven years.

Mr. Simms said that his favorite thing about being an administrator is interacting with the staff and students. His least favorite thing about being an administrator is dealing with suspensions.

Mr. Simms has been happily married to his wife for twenty-six years. She is a reading recovery teacher at Wade Elementary. They have two sons, Kevin, who is twenty-four years old, and Chris, who is twenty-two years old. In addition, to his family, he also has a German Shepard/Lab mix named Bandit.

When Chris and Kevin were younger, it was hard trying to balance being an administrator and family man. Part of being an administrator is being required to attend North Point sports events.

During his free time, he likes to go to Ocean City, play golf, and visit his family in Baltimore. His favorite sport is football, and his favorite team is the Pittsburgh Steelers. He likes the Steelers because they are a great running team and have great defense.

Mr. Simms is very excited for the Class of 2012 to graduate. He got to watch them grow from children to young adults. As The Class of 2012 exits high school, Mr. Simms would like this class to leave with his advice he said, “I think everybody truly needs to do the right thing and always work hard regardless of what you do. Always make wise decisions, and enjoy life.”

Meet Mr. Simms