The Young Women of Discernment

The Young Women of Discernment

The Young Women of Discernment is not just a club; it is a place for female students to discuss personal topics that will inspire, motivate, and empower one another. “They mentor each other,” said Mrs. Alford, club sponsor. Their purpose is to be able to handle whatever life throws at them. By attending these discussions, the young women will have better knowledge of what to do when faced with a difficult decision.

The club is a spin-off of the Young Men of Distinction. A few girls wanted to do something similar and with some help they put the group together. The group started in the beginning of third quarter. It is run by Mrs. Roberts and Mrs. Alleyne. The group has about fourteen girls that were selected to be a part of it. Others are invited to join.

After spring break, a second group of girls was added to the Young Women of Discernment. The groups were split up by underclassmen and upperclassmen. The sponsors for the underclassmen are Mrs. Malone, Mrs. Pierce and Mrs. Alford. They meet on Thursdays while the upperclassmen meet on Tuesdays and Fridays.

To show their North Point peers what they are a part of, the Young Women of Discernment dress up once a month. To make them stand out even more, they add a hot pink accessory to their outfit. The hot pink represents the fact that they are not just little girls but women.

“The girls that come love it. The first group started out with one half of nest, and now they go for the full hour because they love it so much,” stated Pierce. Their discussions can become deep and personal. The topics they choose to discuss can be relevant to things that could be happening in their lives. By sharing the issues that they are faced with, they can help one another come up with better ways to solve the problem. “What we discuss, we don’t discuss outside,” said Mrs. Pierce.

The Young Women of Discernment intend to develop into the women they are destined to become.

The Young Women of Discernment