Co-Op Program Names Students of the Year

Every year a student from a Charles County high school that is enrolled in the Co-Op Program receives the award of Student of the Year from the Charles County Board of Education. This program is for senior students who come to school for half of the day and work at their job for the other half. This year the award winner was not just one student, but two, both from North Point.

This year Kayla Reynolds (’12) and Keiona Daniels (’12) received the Co-Op Student of the Year Award. Both students were greatly honored. It “was a feeling of pride and accomplishment to have won an award for something that I enjoy doing,” said Daniels. And in Reynolds’ words, “It’s such a blessing and a great opportunity for me. I learned so much from the program and am honored and feel great to be student of the year and represent my school.”

To win the award, the students had to get a recommendation from their employers and go through a series of two interviews. After the first interview an award of $500 was given to each representative from each school that continued on to the next round. Reynolds and Daniels both continued on to the second round where one winner was to be chosen from all the representatives. The judges, however, could not decide between the two, so both students won, receiving another $500 scholarship.

Daniels currently works at Lakeside Childcare Center. She plans to continue her education at either Southern University or A&M College in Baton Rouge, LA with the scholarship she received from the award. Reynolds works at Allentown Fitness and Splash Park. In the fall she will be attending Delaware State University. “Achieving student of the year encourages me in my commitment to strive for academic enrichment and curricular experiences that will prepare me for leadership opportunities,” said Reynolds.