What is the true meaning of Christmas?

What is the true meaning of Christmas?

Many students in high school or younger are usually interested in one thing when Christmas time comes around: gifts. So, many young people struggle to find the real meaning of Christmas.

Is there any “true” meaning to Christmas? Ashley Cunningham (’15) says, “To me, Christmas is a lot more than just getting a whole bunch of expensive gifts. To me, Christmas is about being with your family and being thankful for what you already have and just pretty much being thankful for life.”

Many people would say that at Christmas time, they would be lying if they said they didn’t want any gifts. But for some, all they really want is to be around family.

Jasmine Hendricks (’14) says, “Call me cliché if you want, but on Christmas day I love getting up early in the morning and waking up all of my family and opening gifts. To me Christmas is a celebration of the things you have and giving.”

Hendricks also says “To me there is no real meaning to Christmas. Christmas is the meaning you give it.”

Christmas time is a great holiday, but is also tragic for some, such as homeless people and people who are in special care.

Serenthia Chambers (’13) says, “For me it really hurts to see so many people in need when some of us might be unthankful because our parents didn’t give us a certain gift. At least we have warm homes to go to, beds, and presents sitting under the tree. Even if they are what we asked for, we have things that others don’t.”

Chambers also says, “Christmas is the time to give and people really shouldn’t take that for granted. So give to someone that can’t have things given to them because they’re the ones who need it the most.”

What is the true meaning of Christmas?