National Science Honor Society

“I promise to do my best to represent the academic goals of the Science National Honor Society, participate in community service, and encourage the pursuit of scientific knowledge that benefits all mankind.” That’s the pledge the inductees say when they are inducted into the Science National Honor Society. That’s only a small part of what they have to do. “You have to fill out an application, write a long essay, and write a resume,” Nicole Kaminski (’13). This is the first year that North Point has had a Science National  Honor Society.

Their motto is felix, qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas which translates to “Fortunate is one who understands the cause of things.”  The SNHS vision is that SNHS will be a prominent scientific organization that will engender a new group of young thinkers who will be the future of industry, research, and scientific exploration for America.

At the start of the ceremony the officers did the presentation of the candles which were green, gold, purple, and white. All of the officers also spoke, with the President being Danielle Leginze (’14), the Vice President being Pavneet Sandhu (’14), Secretary Shannon Mitchell (’14), Treasurer Thomas Lilly (’14), and Historian Caitlin Patrick (’14). The advisories are Ms. Harner, Mrs. Johnson-Toledo, and Mrs. Craig – all members of the science department.  

Green represents encouraging scientific pursuits, curiosity, and intellectual thought.

Gold means to recognize and advance students’ knowledge of classical and modern science.

Purple represents communicating with the scientific community and aiding the civic community with its comprehension of science.

White means to encourage student participation in community service dedicated to the pursuit of scientific knowledge that benefits all humankind.

Every person who was inducted into the SNHS gave their thumbprint. Why? Mrs. Harner said “Little impressions make a big impact for when they go to college, which for some of these students will be very soon. That is why they give their thumbprint – it is a little impression, but them being in Science National Honor Society is a big impact.”

Why would people want to do Science National Honor Society and not a different honor society? “I want to major in biological science and I am a huge science nerd,” says Kaminski (’13). Abigail Richman (’14) said, “I am a very scientific person and with this I thought it would be able to open more science programs for me.”

There were 36 members inducted into SNHS who were all juniors and seniors, so underclassmen have to wait until their junior year to be inducted.  

National Science Honor Society