North Point Softball Makes An Impact in 2017

Joey Foote, Staff Writer

North Point Softball came into the 2017 season looking to redeem itself and have a new fresh start. The Eagles had seen some trouble in recent years, but always had talent on the team. This Eagles team was a determined group with one thing on their minds; give it their all and put up victories. The Eagles, who were a younger group than in recent years, looked to have a season that they and others watching would remember. After a hard year of battling, they got exactly what they were looking for.

The Eagles’ hard work paid off, as they finished with a record of 15-4, at one point winning 9 straight, on their way to being crowned Potomac Division and SMAC champs, as they defeated Leonardtown 1-0 in a thrilling game for the title.

The Eagles were led by several players, including Seniors Brianna Baker and Justice Moore, as well as Sophomore Katie Delph. Baker continued to make a name for herself as the Eagles’ number one pitcher. She was lights out on the mound. Baker’s pitches got inside on the opponent batter’s hands, causing a lot of ground outs and strikeouts. Moore also made a name for herself during the season. She had quite a bat up at the plate, crushing the ball all over the field. Moore was really someone who could always drive in runners. This was quite an impressive year to say the least for Moore and her teammates. When asked how her senior year was, Moore said, “Honestly it wasn’t an ideal senior year season. I had to play a position that I wasn’t very familiar with. If it wasn’t for my teammates, I wouldn’t have had a fun season. The friendships I made within the team this year, truly kept me going.” The Eagles put up many impressive stats and one was their runs scored to their runs allowed. The Eagles scored 185 runs this season including 18 against Chopticon, 13 against Lackey, 22 against Stone, and 18 against Westlake. The Eagles only allowed 95 total runs, showing they not only had a great offense but a great defense as well. When asked what it was like to play alongside these teammates, Senior Lauren Tipton said, “It was great to play alongside my teammates. Everyone was always encouraging each other and really kept each other motivated. I couldn’t ask for better teammates”.¬†Unfortunately, the Eagles season came to an end after a 9-1 loss to Chopticon in the 2017 MPSSAA playoffs. But the Eagles had an awesome year and proved they are a threat to any opponent that stands in their way. The future looks really good for North Point Softball and we can’t wait to see what’s in store for 2018 for the Eagles.

• North Point Softball Makes An Impact in 2017

Sports

North Point Baseball Finishes A Strong Regular Season

Beyond the Nest

Is Protesting Trendy?

Sports

North Point Girls Dethrone Severna Park

A&E

Chamber Choir Performs At The Kennedy Center

Beyond the Nest

Dear White People

Top Stories

School Issues Survey

Beyond the Nest

Women’s Rights Are Human Rights

A&E

Atlanta Wins At The Golden Globes

Beyond the Nest

Syria was pleading. Why did We Ignore Them?

Beyond the Nest

A Golden Age